The Christmas and summer holiday period is one where there’s increased attempts by scammers to target consumers online.
GMCU encourages members to shop safely online and avoid scams that target vulnerable individuals at this time of year.
The key tips are:
- Don’t overshare on social media – Do not post personal information that will put you at risk. Check your social media privacy settings.
- Reject Scam callers – Financial institutions will never make unsolicited calls or emails asking for your personal banking details or card details, so always check with your provider.
- Be alert to ‘romance scams’ - Over the Christmas and New Year period in particular romance scams cause millions of dollars of loss to Australians.
- Don’t be duped by promises from job scammers – Beware of offers of jobs working from home or online where fraudsters ask you to use your bank account to send or receive funds.
- Be suspicious of get rich schemes - All they want from you is your money. If it sounds too good to be true, it is, so don’t send any money.